Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Where are you from?

As an Asian, people can be quite confuse about where I'm from. I do clarify sometimes but most of the time I just buat bodoh and listen to their conversation while pretending that I don't understand them. Here's a few interesting experience which I can share with you.

#1
I remember there's this group of Taiwanese girls who were looking for someone to take a picture of them. One of the girl suggested to her friend that perhaps they can ask me since I was just standing right in front of them. The other girl said "I don't think she can speak English" in chinese. I was quite surprise at her remark. I was like "Hey, which part of me doesn't look Asian enough to have the possibility of understanding your conversation?" I was so tempted to tell her that I can understand perfectly what she said in English. But I didn't want to make it awkward.

#2
It happened a week ago at Mui Ne where a Korean uncle keep talking to me in korean language when I was standing in the middle of the street. I guess he was asking if I was looking for a place to stay. I do get the "Are you from Korea?" question a lot because of my skin color and people normally look confused after I told them that I'm a Malaysian.

#3
On my first day in Japan, I was approached by a few HK travelers who asked if I was from HK too because our flight were about the same time. The guy thought that I'm from HK but the girl thought that I'm not. So, they bet on my nationality. I felt that they were discussing about me when I saw them and I tried to avoid making any eye contact and made my exit to the subway station. But, the girl ran after me and asked 'Excuse me, are you from HK?' We exchanged a few conversation and I left the subway station because I was rushing for time. We didn't meet after that.

So, what do you think? Looking at the brighter side, I can easily disguise as a local if I speak their language in their country. LOL

No comments: