Monday, July 23, 2012

How much do you know?

I quote someone "Can you imagine how people from Sabah and Sarawak who lived in rural areas get their chicken and vegetable from? Can you imagine how they get the supply all the way from the city?". When I heard this, I wanted to defend the people in Borneo Island. They don't go all the way to the city to get food supply. Instead, they grow their own corps! They have their own chicken and pigs so that they don't have to buy from others! People generally thinks that the people in Borneo still lived on the trees and they are generally more backwards than most of us in Peninsular. But, you are wrong! Even the orang asli in Peninsular uses a cellphone and the longhouse (the one I went) at Sarawak is equipped with astro and wifi! Our textbooks and tv programme instilled the idea that they are living on the trees and they don't wear anything! But, if you have a chance to go there, you will find that they are same as us. Moreover, their houses is bigger than the one in Peninsular. I always think that travel broaden our mindset and how we think and I still think that it is the right way to learn. I always want to laugh when people provides wrong information from their perspective and I'll try to provide them the correct information whenever I can. I spent 3 weeks learning about the aboriginal communities and the natives in Malaysia. I've learnt a lot about them and I wish these knowledge can be acquired from our history textbooks. Our history textbook taught us that the Brooke family who ruled Sarawak for 100 years is bad but do you know that the people in Sarawak really respected them? To the people there, they've develop the state and etc and all these facts wasn't mentioned in the textbook at all. However, I'm glad that I have the opportunity to learn about them and broaden my mind. If it's not because of this programme, I wouldn't have the chance to learn about these people who were known as the minority of our country! 

I'll share more once I sort out the pictures! 

No comments: